Friday, January 24, 2014

Rules and Regs

Today I'd like to talk about rules. I wrote and published a similar post last week, but thanks to a rather unfortunate bit of computer mayhem, it got deleted while I was trying to reorganize things. My best good pal Mires wrote a similar post in its wake, though, and it seems to me that the point of the post is one that deserves reiterating:

When it comes to writing, the rules were made to be broken.

I enjoy reading what other writers and folks in the industry have to say about crafting a story, and for the longest time I devoured how-to book after how-to book. I still have several that I enjoy and that I will recommend, but I must say that I think my old obsession with the "rules" caused my own writing to suffer. While many people have great advice, none of them are the ultimate authority and getting wrapped up in the rules they lay down is a great way to get derailed from the real task at hand, and that is writing a good story.

When it comes right down to it, I write for my own enjoyment first, and second in the hopes that people will read and enjoy the stories as much as I have. The agents and publishers of the world are the middle men and, as wonderful as many of them are, I think getting wrapped up in the rules they lay down can be detrimental. Don't write this kind of story, always keep this tip in mind, take a look at this trend, et cetera.

Now of course I don't mean to paint the industry or its members as a bunch of bad guys; rather, I'd like to point out that, just as many a rejection letter has pointed out, the market is ever-changing and the components of a good story are completely subjective.

Everyone has preferences, and those preferences can vary wildly from person to person. If we as writers only look to the preferences of a few (no matter how vocal those few), we run the risk of getting wrapped up in quickly churning out stories to fit the market, rather than focusing on stories we love, or, worse yet, driving ourselves to endless frustration with stories with elements we don't even like.

This applies on the small scale, too, with individual story elements. "Don't write about prophecies," somebody might say. "It's overdone and readers hate it." That might certainly apply to a chunk of readers, but there are plenty who like prophecies just fine. The real question to ask yourself is, do you like stories about prophecies? Is a story about a prophecy something you could get invested in, toil over, and stick with for years and years?

It is? Then write it.

Stylistic choices, too, are yours and yours alone. Editors might make suggestions, and those suggestions might work for you, but the choice is always yours. That doesn't mean throw grammar out the window, but it does mean that if you want a character to speak wi' a bit o' slang or inflection, you shouldn't be afraid to play around with it and see what works for you. If you want to Capitalize or CAPSLOCK things for emphasis, WHY NOT? It won't always work out, but getting so wrapped up in what the "rules" say might keep you from discovering something that suits your story perfectly.

They (whoever 'they' are supposed to be) like to talk about how you should never write prologues, never include dream sequences, and never ever ever rely on tired ideas of people discovering alternate worlds or hidden powers.

Fie, I say! I like alternate worlds and hidden powers! I appreciate well-implemented dream sequences! If a prologue is written well, I see no reason not to include it. It's what I like that's important to my story, and the only rule I ever stick to is this:

If you're so focused on rules and what the agents might say, you're missing the point, and that is to have fun while writing a great story.

Go forth and have fun, my friends.
'Til next time,
J.

No comments: