Monday, August 11, 2014

Always Crashing in the Same Laptop

So I've been taking a bit of a hiatus, if you hadn't noticed. About halfway through last month I started feeling extremely worn down, and so I took a couple of weeks to myself. During those couple of weeks, I sat down and did a lot of editing on my WiP. I managed to get seven chapters spit-shined and polished. I had plans to finish the next eight and send the document to my crit group, as well as my husband and parents, who haven't read much of my work but would like to.

But then my laptop crashed.

I didn't lose much, when I take a step back and look at it. The main file with my WiP got corrupted, but that was the only thing. I lost no other documents, no pictures, no programs. I had a backup of everything up to when I started those seven chapters of edits, so there's nothing I have to rewrite.

But damned if it didn't suck to lose all of those perfect shiny edits.

For the rest of my little hiatus, I barely touched my document. I was--and still kind of am--pissed at losing something that took a lot of effort and that I was proud of. I got a bit burned out at the thought of doing it all over again, especially since I don't exactly remember all the little tweaks I made.

This week, though, I'm picking it back up. I had a sulk, made some notes, and it's back to edits. My plan is to edit the entirety of Part One, send it to my crit pals, and then start writing Part Two while working on the outline for Part Three. Because of how lengthy this project really is, and because I took that hiatus, I'm giving myself until my birthday in February to get this thing finished and spit-shined.

No penalty if I don't have it finished by then, of course, but it's something to shoot for.

'Til next time,
J.

No comments: