Monday, June 16, 2014

Gadgets and Gizmos Aplenty

Yesterday I finally did what I've been planning to do for months now, and that is buy myself a shiny new laptop just for writing. I still have my old behemoth of a laptop for gaming, but this new beauty is my writing, blogging, and Facebook machine. It's nice and portable without being too small, it's got excellent battery life, and is perfect for things like travel, conferences, or just walking down to the coffee shop (which Mireyah Wolfe and I did today). I also bought myself a copy of Scrivener not so very long ago, and so I now have the perfect setup for productivity.

It's great, and while I could write just as well in a plain notebook or on the ratty old desktop, I must admit that having invested money in tools specifically for my writing makes it all feel more...real. They say a craftsman is only as good as his tools, and while that may not necessarily be true in all cases, it's nice to have something nice, for my personal use, that is specifically for my chosen craft.

I was away all weekend and I'm currently in the middle of a long sleepless stretch, so my productivity hasn't been the best. After a good night's rest, though, my game plan is to start getting up at a sensible time, getting the daily chores done in a timely manner, and then sitting down for uninterrupted, scheduled writing time. I have the new, professional setup...so it's time for a new, professional routine. Usually I do the "write when I feel productive" routine, and that's worked well for the past few weeks, but if I'm to meet my summer goals, I can't blow off a day of writing just because I felt more like gaming than writing.

I have the tools of a professional writer. It's exciting, and even though a good laptop doesn't automatically a good writer make, it's yet another thing that's pushing me to take my words in a direction that might lead to publication.

I don't have much more to say today--I'm pretty exhausted after having been awake for a good 30 hours straight--so I'll leave it here and hope it all makes sense.

'Til next time,
J.

No comments: