Monday, June 2, 2014

It Begins

And with a bang, a crash, and a lightning flash...it's Monday again. The working types are off to another day on the job, and we home-lurkers are either enjoying a morning to ourselves or sleeping in. Or maybe something else--obviously I don't know. But however you're spending your Monday morning, I hope it's treating you well.

It's been a while, hasn't it? But it's a fresh month and the beginning of a promising summer. I've been writing away between reblogging cool pictures on my tumblr, and I'm nearly 30,000 words into my behemoth of a WiP. I've got a few other projects bubbling away on the back burner, but for now, this lovely thing I call From Dust to Ashes holds my heart.

I have a few plans for the impending summer, though for us the routine isn't disrupted much. The husband's schedule stays the same through the heat, and I don't have to worry about keeping any kids entertained. All that's really going to be different is the heat, and that can be handled with the miracle that is central air. So...what's a girl to do?

The answer: write my ass off.

My best good pal Mireyah Wolfe and I did some number crunching, and they made a real pretty sound. We can't make any definite calls yet, but it looks like the two of us might be able to grace the Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers conference with our presence this year. We've both set a goal of having, if not finished books, at least finished drafts of our WiPs by the time we fly out (assuming we can go).

According to my word count meter, I'm approximately 19% toward my word goal, with an estimated finish date of November 10th at my current pace. Obviously November comes after September, so starting today I intend to pick up the pace. This is my summer of writing. Between a trip to see my family, a barbecue or two, and whatever other distractions summer brings, I will finish at least the first draft of this book. It's going to happen. I believe in me.

So what are you folks planning for the summer?

'Til next time,
J.

No comments: